Better 2G, 3G & 4G Signal Coverage

'Project Beacon' a joint venture between O2 and Vodafone

Vodafone and O2, starting in 2012, began to work on a joint venture called 'Project Beacon' to improve mobile coverage around the UK, with a view to looking forward to enhancing network coverage for 4G. This project is designed to improve the physical infrastructure for both networks. The idea was that if there is an area where O2 receive a better signal than Vodafone, they are able to attach Vodafone equipment on to the O2 mast and vice versa where Vodafone may put out a better signal.

Dedicated Business Internet

In order to equip the new grid and get it running as fast as possible, maintenance work was shared equally between O2 and Vodafone and they also set up an independent company to manage the mast sites for anything not related to signal. Vodafone maintain the grid for the West of the England and Wales while O2 oversee the East and Northern Ireland. Both companies have signed strict service guarantees to ensure any problems are dealt with speedily with minimal disruption to customers.


The companies are also removing duplicate masts at locations and building some new ones to enhance the coverage. In total there will be about 18,500 masts by the time the project is complete in 2015. Pooling their resources means both networks will have a 40% increase in the number of sites they had in 2012 at the start of the project allowing for an offering of coverage for 2G, 3G and 4G to 98% of the UK population. Plans are in place to reach the other 2 % which live in the hardest to reach areas.

Both O2 and Vodafone invested a lot of money in their 4G services as the frequency has better penetration of walls and objects than 3G and allows between 20mb and 50mb download speeds as an average. In moving forward with Project Beacon both companies have ensured they are offering the best coverage for their domestic and business customers.

Ikonix Mobile ToolsIkonix Mobile Tools
If you would like to check coverage for a particular network or check your network status then click here for the ‘Ikonix Mobile Tools’





Please complete the following form for an instant quotation or just email web@ikonix-telecoms.co.uk to register your interest in any of our services:


Fleet Trackers

With our exceptional pro-active account management you will have one of the most compelling and cost effective mobile offerings in the UK. 


Download our Terms
and conditions in PDF







Customer Testimonials
Latest Business Mobile Deals

Current Ikonix Articles:

Business Phone Systems:
Benefits Of Call Recording
Business Telephone Systems
Call Centre Dashboards
Call Centre Phone System Capability
Call Management Software
Computer Telephony Integration
Hotel Phone Systems
Learn About Automated Dialling
Making A Phone System Mobile
Office Phone In Your Pocket
Phone Systems In Schools & Education

Business Mobiles:
4G on Red Sharer Explained
Better Mobile Signal Coverage
How 4G Mobiles Can Help Your Business
Mobile Virtual Network Operator
What is 4G Advance?

Fleet Vehicle Tracking:
Mobile Vehicle Tracking App
Real Time Vehicle Tracking
The Benefits Of Vehicle Trackers

Fixed Business Lines:
What Are SIP Trunks?

Business Broadband:
Cheap Business Broadband
Dedicated Business Internet

Business Utilities:
Business Utilities
Gas & Electric Cost Savings


Business IT:
Ikonix IT Services

Offcie 365

Website Sitemap



Privacy-Policy